Friday, 9 January 2015

Review // Real Techniques: Miracle Complexion Sponge


Hey guys, As you know I've become a HUGE Real Techniques fan, so when I heard they had brought out their own version of a 'Beauty Blender' I knew it wouldn't be long before I ordered it. I ordered it on Cloud10Beauty and having never ordered anything off them before, I had no clue how cheap their shipping was to Ireland (€3 for standard, €6 for next day), If I had have known that I'd have ordered from them a lot soon! Also there shipping times are great! I ordered this on a Friday (standard shipping, no point in going to next day on a weekend) and it arrived the following Monday! A+ for Cloud10Beauty!

Onto the Sponge!

Real Techniques - Miracle Complexion Sponge
 This member of the Real Techniques family is part of the 'base/flawless' range (these are the Gold series of brushes) and promises to "Redefine your skin with our miracle complexion sponge. It's versatile design blends makeup for a smooth, enhanced look". The difference between this and other sponges of its kind is the three unique surfaces:

The Rounded Side - for blending large areas of the face using a stippling/dabbing motion.
The Flat Edge - for contours of the eyes and nose.
The Precision Tip - to accurately cover blemishes and imperfections.


I had never tried a beauty blender or makeup sponge before, so I was almost afraid to use it and actually left it sitting there for ages before I gave it a go. I had read a few reviews and it seemed that the sponge could be used damp or dry, I figured using it damp would be best so it didn't soak up much foundation. I ran it under water and let it expand (about 1.5 times its original size), I then squeezed out as much water as I could and then squeezed it between a towel to get the rest out.

I started by applying foundation to the back of my hand and then transferring it onto the sponge, If I'm being honest I started with the flat edge and didn't use the round side at all. I used a stippling/dabbing motion by bouncing the sponge off my skin until my full face was covered and then blended it into the hairline. Afterwards I used the precision tip to blend my under eye concealer and cover some smaller blemishes. This blends foundation like an absolute dream. It gives a flawless finish and its near impossible to go overboard and look cakey while using it. Its also beautiful to apply cream blush and highlighter and to blend cream contouring and better yet it, it can be used dry with powder products, I especially find it brilliant for pressing powder onto areas I want to set. Its so versatile!

Now If you follow me on twitter, you may remember me tweeting this "Have just found the PERFECT use for my @realtechniques Miracle Complexion Sponge!!" Let me explain. For as long as I can remember foundation has never sat right on my nose. It didn't matter what kind of foundation I used or what way I put it on it just never sat right, Its almost like my nose is raw,  its red and shiny (a bit like Rudolph) and very hard to explain. Anyway, nothing has worked, until now, but the dabbing motion of the sponge really works over my weird nose so it definitely has a permanent place in my makeup arsenal.

I wash the sponge the same way I would with my brushes, a general clean with baby shampoo and for stubborn stains I'll use a brush cleaner. Now I know some people have complained that the sponges stain and can't be completely cleaned, this is easily rectified by popping the sponge into a washing machine every once in a blue moon. I've done it with mine and its came out as good as new. This might not be something your completely comfortable with, but if your worried about detergent coming in contact with your skin then you can take it out after the wash and rinse is with baby shampoo or brush cleaner to be on the safe side. The only problem I've had and its completely my fault, was that while cleaning it the last time I went a little bit hard on the flat edge and the sponge did rip/separate a little. As I said it was completely my fault and I should have known better with something so soft and delicate.

I have indeed purchased a back up, but I've been using my first one for months and its still going strong.

Bottom Line:
I really wasn't sure whether the whole beauty blender/sponge method of foundation application would be for me, but alas, it is. Its found a little niche in my routine that nothing else has filled. I'll buy the miracle complexion as many times as I have to. Its also worth mentioning that its about 1/3 of the price of an original Beauty Blender! I think If you're a lover of Real Techniques then you should give it a shot, It's not going to leave you terribly out of pocket if you aren't successful with and who knows you might find a little niche in your makeup routine for it! 

Have you tried the Miracle Complexion Sponge yet?

x
X Cint X
x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...