Saturday, 14 March 2015

Review // Essence: I Love Stage - Eye Shadow Base

'Eyeshadow base for a long lasting makeup result - ready for stage'


Hey guys, Today I have an eyeshadow base/primer review for you! I used to never wear an eyeshadow base before, mainly because I never really wore eyeshadow except for nights out but during those nights out I found that my eyeshadow would crease to no end! It didn't matter what kind of eye shadow I used, it would eventually crease, sooner rather that later. I decided to pick this up while I was browsing in my local chemist and give it a whirl, I can't remember the exact price but it was definitely less than €4.



Like most eyeshadow primers I've seen, it comes with a doe foot applicator. It has a subtle yellow tone to it, similar to the likes of MAC's Paint Pot in 'Soft Ochre' so if you have red eyelids or visible veins this will certainly help to even them out a little. You can certainly see a difference with and without it in the below picture.

Left - With Base, Right - Without Base

Having never used an eyeshadow base, I wasn't quite sure what to expect in terms of consistency, but I found this quite nice to work with. Its thick and creamy but can be blended out nicely. I usually use the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush or the Zoeva 142 Concealer Buffer Brush.
I've done some comparison swatches, both with and without the primer to see how it effects the colour and intensity of eye shadows.

Left - Without Base, Right - With Base (Without Flash)

 Left - Without Base, Right - With Base (With Flash)

As you can see from this first set of swatches, there isn't a huge difference, but I did notice that the eyeshadow went on easier and seemed to go further even though I swatched both evenly (two swirls of my finger on the pan). 

I also tested how it fades with and without the base, so I rubbed over it a few times with a soft cloth.

 Left - Without Base, Right - With Base (Without Flash)

 Left - Without Base, Right - With Base (With Flash)

Its this set of swatches that really interested me. You can clearly tell that the eyeshadow without the base fades a lot faster and easier than the eyeshadow with the base!

I actually have this shadow base for over a year and in that time I've also acquired quite a few high end bases from brands like Too Faced, Smashbox and Urban Decay and I can honestly say that in terms of stopping eyeshadow creasing this is definitely on par with them. Fading wise It might fall the tiniest bit short, but nothing that would make me choose something else over this.

For my daily routine, this is what I reach for constantly. Its a super little eyeshadow base that really works and won't break the bank. If your thinking about buying a base, but your not sure if you need one, try this out before you spend big bucks on a high end one!

x
X Cint X
x

2 comments :

  1. I have had this product for ages just never used it so I'm glad I came across your post !! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Welcome Stavey! Hope you find it works. I think its a great alternative to more expensive options! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...