Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Review // Real Techniques: Expert Face Brush

Its no secret that I'm a huge fan of Real Techniques, owing the Core Collection, Starter Set, Travel Essentials, Duo Fibre Collection and the Miracle Complexion Sponge and loving every single one of them. So it was only a matter of time before I started collecting the single brushes in the line too. 

The first one I purchased was the Expert Face Brush. Possibly the most popular of the single brushes, its used a majority of the time in the Pixiwoo tutorials and held in very high regard in the Beauty Blogging world.







The expert face brush is in the 'your base/flawless' line of Real Techniques, golden in colour to fit in nicely with the rest of the base brushes and as with all Real Techniques brushes, its made from ultra plush taklon bristles with a lightweight aluminium ferrule.

The brush is described as being 'ultra firm and broad for application and blending of cream or liquid foundation'. Even though I lusted after this brush from the very start I was sceptical of how it would match with the other brushes in terms of softness, in particular the 'Buffing Brush', based on how super dense the bristles were and the fact that they were quite a bit shorter. I needn't have worried though. The Expert Face brush is just as soft as any of the other Real Techniques brushes! I'm ashamed at myself for doubting it.

Saying that however, I have a love/hate relationship with this brush and it makes me sad to say that for foundation application I just can't get this to work. I always fail to get an even coverage and I also get a lot less coverage than I would with the RT Buffing Brush. I've no idea why and I can only put it down to my own error because everyone else seems to love and gush about this brush. Where I think this brush excels is with application and blending of cream contour. I find it has the perfect level of density and firmness and the shape helps to give a really defined look.

Every now and then I go back and try this for foundation and keep getting the same results, but I'll continue to do so because I feel like I'm missing something. Perhaps a different formula will work better, but if your like me and can't make it work then give it a go with cream contouring and see.

As far as washing goes, It does just as good as any of the Real Techniques brushes. It washes well and holds its shape perfectly. Due to the density of it however it makes rinsing the suds out a painful task, but once you have that done then its plain sailing.

If you have any suggestions to make this work, please do leave them in the comments because I'd love to know! Or if like me, you fail to get a flawless foundation applications let me know too, I can't be the only one right?

x
X Cint X
x

6 comments :

  1. I used to only use this for bases but I've moved on now to a Zoeva brush. I still do love it for contour though. This with Illamsqua Hollow is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try some of the Zoeva Face brushes! I have the eye ones and love them. What would you recommend?
      Is hollow the cream pigment? I think I've seen the Pixiwoo girls using it a while back! X

      Delete
  2. Oooo I love the buffing brush, must try this out :)
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anything will beat the Buffing Brush! :)

      Delete
  3. I like this brush but it is certainly no Buffing Brush! I use it more for contour and have used it for blending concealer in the past but it is not as effective as it is when doing contour!

    Carrie
    http://www.cazmosworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer the Buffing Brush over this aswel! Still a nice one to have in your collection thought! Thanks for your comment Carrie! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...