Friday, 20 March 2015

Tips 'N' Tricks // Target Practice

What happens if you have a rather oily t-tone, the surrounding area is dry and you prefer a dewy finish? I know, I'll use a mattifying primer and an oil controlling setting spray and I'll sacrifice my dewy finish.
What if you have relatively normal/combination skin, but a patch of ridiculously dry skin recovering from a hormonal breakout?  Oh sure I'll use a hydrating primer and a moisturising setting spray, but what about my combination area?


A majority of us have experienced these situations on the daily. 
Do you compromise your finish? 
Hope you don't look like an hot mess? 
No, and you shouldn't have to.

I have normal to combination skin and throughout the day I'm destined for a very oily t-zone. So instead of compromising or subjecting some of my skin to the opposite of what it needs I target my problem areas with specific primers and sprays. It might seem time consuming and too much faff for daily wear, but it's something to consider for times where you can spend a little longer on your makeup or when you know you're makeup is going to be on for a lengthy amount of time. 
Here's my target practice routine for how my skin generally behaves.

Prep:
I first prep my skin with a moisturiser, usually an oil free one as it won't add to my oily t-zone but it's still moisturising for the rest of my skin. (If you're generally oily, please do NOT skip moisturiser, it's just as important for oily skin as it is to the driest of skins. A good moisturiser on oily skin will trick it into thinking it already has oil and doesn't need to produce more). If I have time I'll spritz on some prep spray like 'Urban Decay B6'.

Prime:
After that’s all soaked in, I'll prime the skin. For my t-zone I like to use a mattifying primer like 'MUA Matte Perfect' [Review] and for the rest of my face I'll use a normal, everyday primer like 'Max Factor Face Finity'. These will target specific areas and deal with them without compromising other areas.

Set:
When I've finished my makeup I'll then set with a spray. For the most part I'll use my an oil controlling spray targeted at my t-zone but sprayed lightly on the rest of my face, I use 'Urban Decay De-Slick'. If I'll have my makeup on for a prolonged period of time I'll also use 'Urban Decay All Nighter'

As I said that’s my routine for a majority of the time, but as we know skin is prone to change, whether it’s the weather or a certain time of the month. Here are other problems that can arise, but can effectively be targeted by different products:
Uneven Texture, Dryness, Redness, Uneven Skin Tone, Dullness and Blemish Prone Areas

Unfortunately there isn't one product to combat different situations that can arise and in the cosmetic minefield it can be difficult and confusing to figure out what's what, but if you get to know your skin, know your problems and get to know what counters what. You'll then be able to effectively target certain areas without compromising others.

I'll be doing a post in the near future on different skin problems and how to combat them with certain products so keep an eye out for that. If you have any questions before that feel free to ask in the comments!

Will you be doing some Target Practise soon?

x
X Cint X
x

4 comments :

  1. This is so helpful! Thanks for sharing x

    Amy | The Perks of Being Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Glad you found it helpful! X

      Delete
  2. This is a really helpful post. I think with lots of these things people tend to forget when they are really important.
    <3
    perfectfixations.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...