Thursday, 19 March 2015

Workshop // MUA101 with Joanne Larby & Sharleen Collins

Hey guys! Last Saturday I attended the MUA101 Workshop in the beautiful Burlington Hotel, Dublin, Hosted by the amazing Joanne Larby and the equally amazing Sharleen Collins!

The MUA101 workshop was geared towards those who wanted a career in the makeup industry whether it be counter work or free lance. Now I'm just a humble beauty blogger and I'm in neither of those fields of work at the minute, but I still found it so informative. I can honestly say that if you have an interest in makeup/beauty and regardless of whether you want to work in the makeup industry you will definitely come away we so much from a workshop like this!



Lets start at the beginning shall we? The Burlington Hotel is absolutely beautiful! From the waiting lobby's to the pretty flowers adorning the window sills. I couldn't but take a picture of them. I got there super early and was waiting in the lobby and I have to say both Joanne and Sharleen were so nice. They walked by a few times, always with a friendly smile and Joanne was even nice enough to ask me if I was okay and that I could run downstairs to get tea or coffee. Not gonna lie, they're both absolute babes.

  


The room itself was beautifully laid out with tables and chairs packed with a choice of drinks, cupcakes, paper, pens and our goodie bags (more on that later I promise!) We were so well looked after! I barely managed to take a picture of the cupcake because I wanted to eat it so bad, but I waited for the long bus journey home and scoffed it then. Made by Once Upon A Time Cakes, they were all decorated with Joanne or Sharleen's logo or MAC products and were red velvet or lemon meringue.(Mine was lemon meringue and was so good!)


The workshop started with Joanne and Sharleen introducing themselves and talking about their extensive career in the makeup industry, followed by an overview of the day ahead. Basically both Joanne and Sharleen found that while college was excellent for the artistry side of things, gaining much needed skills and building portfolios it wasn't so great in terms of preparing people for what lies beyond. How to get work, how to become successful MUA, getting yourself out there and so on. So they decided to collaborate and create a workshop aimed at preparing people for just that.

Joanne and Sharleen as over 10 years combined experience in the industry and are both so different,  so everything they spoke about was worth its weight in gold. There was loads of note taking on the day, from how to gain experience in the industry and kit building to how to present yourself physically to a client and how to build yourself as a brand on social media.



After all the theory was done, Sharleen demoed two different looks on her beautiful models in order to show us how to act and behave around clients and to talk us through some makeup application tips and tricks. During this time Joanne also did a Q&A session where we all got to ask her various questions we'd come up with from throughout the day.

Afterwards the ladies had organised talks with Niamh Martin from Nima Brushes about her range and a spokesperson from Stila to talk about some of their products, both of which had little stands at the back on the room so that we could all purchase from them. 

A competition was also help throughout the day for the best picture/selfie using the hashtag #MUA101. The prizes were an InStyler and a Nima Brush set! 




As someone who occasionally does people's makeup, I'm now a lot more confident in knowing that I can do so in the correct and professional manner, not that I was doing it in an unprofessional way before, but little tips on attire and work practices has really helped and as a blogger this workshop has helped immensely in terms of the social media side of things and how to conduct yourself on the Internet whether its speaking to people or brands or dealing with haters and trolls. All in all it was a fantastic day and well worth it. If either ladies do a workshop in future I'll be doing my very best to be there. I'd love if Joanne did a blogging workshop. The information gained is priceless. 

And finally I leave you with the goodie bag, because I know that's what you want to see. Now I've never received a goodie bag before, but instantly I know that any goodie bag to follow will need to be pretty spectacular! It was packed with goodies from Essence, The Body Shop, NYX, Clarins, D&G, Gucci, Inglot, Buff, Nima Brushes, Sally Hansen, Vita Liberata, Asta Brow Artist, Once Upon A Time Cakes, Ren, Mac Doll Boutique, Impress Nails, Isa Dora, Posche Malahide, Ballet Body Fitness, Pilates Performance and Coco Boutique!

I know guys, I know!


All of this was bundled up inside a beautiful 'Tiffany Blue' bag because that's one of Joanne's favourite colours! It was a beautiful, personal touch.

I'm beyond thrilled to have been able to attend this workshop and still in awe of both Joanne and Sharleen. They truly are an inspiration for future MUA's and makeup lovers alike. I want to say a massive THANK YOU and CONGRATULATIONS to both ladies. You've outdone yourselves. Also a massive Thank You to the brands that supplied the amazing goodies for the goodie bags.

x
X Cint X
x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...